Hypertension (HTN) or high blood pressure, sometimes called arterial hypertension, is a chronic medical condition in which the blood pressure in the arteries is elevated. This requires the heart to work harder than normal to circulate blood through the blood vessels. It is one of the biggest health threats to people of developed countries. Blood pressure involves two measurements, systolic and diastolic, which depend on whether the heart muscle is contracting (systole) or relaxed between beats (diastole). Normal blood pressure at rest is within the range of 100-140mmHg systolic (top reading) and 60-90mmHg diastolic (bottom reading). High blood pressure is said to be present if it is persistently at or above 140/90 mmHg.
The main causes of hypertention are;
- Obesity – appears over two times as often in obesity
- Poor diet – high in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium.
- Age – appearing in adults over 40 years more frequently.
- Race – More blacks than white people with higher related consequences.
- Heredity – Hypertension runs in families. Children of hypertensive parents are twice as likely to become hypertensive themselves.
- Smoking – Nicotine enhances the sympathetic nervous system’s vasoconstrictor effects.
- Stress – Particularly at risk are those people classified as “Hot Reactors” whose blood pressure rises during every stressful event.
Hypertension is a major risk factor for stroke, myocardial infarction (heart attacks), heart failure, aneurysms of the arteries (e.g. aortic aneurysm), peripheral arterial disease and is a cause of chronic kidney disease. Even moderate elevation of arterial blood pressure is associated with a shortened life expectancy. Dietary and lifestyle changes can improve blood pressure control and decrease the risk of associated health complications, although drug treatment is often necessary in people for whom lifestyle changes prove ineffective or insufficient.
Homoeopathy can play major role in management of essential or secondary hypertension. Timely administered homoeopathic medicines can assist in preventing further complications of condition. This is one area that homoeopathy can help, but in an entirely different way than the allopathic approach of drug therapy. Life-style modification with moderate exercise, weight reduction, salt restriction can enhance the benefits of homoeopathy.
Read what our patients are saying:
(Hand-written testimonial of a patient with hypertension treated at
Dr. Bidani’s Centre for Homoeopathy)